Dr. Cindy Self, Ophthalmologist and President of the Medical Staff at St. Joseph Healthcare was in for this week’s Senior Watch on WABI to talk about fireworks safety.
Everyone loves fireworks and sparklers, mostly Grandchildren. We want to make memories for our grandchildren, we want to give them a treat on this special holiday and sparklers seem to be the perfect thing. We visualize our Grandchild holding the slim stick – enamored by the sparking light at the tip, we can almost see the joy in their eyes as the sparkler snaps and crackles in their hands, but what many don’t know is that sparklers can burn at temperatures of up to 2000 degrees! That is ten times hotter than a pot of boiling water.
Thousands of people, many of them children, suffer eye injuries from fireworks each year in the United States. In the most severe cases, fireworks can rupture the globe of the eye, cause chemical and thermal burns, corneal abrasions and retinal detachment – all of which can permanently cause eye damage and affect vision.
To contact Dr. Cindy Self for more information please call 207-947-6743.