Healthy Active Living with St. Joseph Healthcare

In the news – Poison Ivy

Leave a comment

Poison ivyDr. Pattavina, St. Joe’s Emergency Department physician, sat down with Wayne on today’s WABI TV 5 Healthy Start to talk about poison ivy.

Poison Ivy is caused by an allergic reaction to the oily resin found on the plant’s leaves.

The rule of thumb is usually “leaves of three, leave them be.”

The oil resin, called urushiol, can be found in the leaves, stems and roots of Poison Ivy, Poison Oak and Poison Sumac.

If you do get into contact with this plant, wash your skin right away.

If you do develop a rash, you can treat it with soothing lotions and cool baths.

Click here to watch the news spot. Thank you Dr. Pattavina!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s