You can never do too much to take care of yourself. Therefore, we’re delivering more tips for you to care for those two feet in celebration of Foot Health Month. Try these tips:
- Trim your toenails straight across. Smooth the edges with an emery board. If you develop calluses, use an emery board or pumice stone regularly to help keep your feet soft.
- Always wear shoes and socks, even in your home. Never walk barefoot. Protect your feet from hot and cold extremes. Wear shoes at the beach or on hot pavement.
- Make sure your footwear fits your feet well and are not too tight or too loose.
- Have your feet measured by a qualified shoe salesperson every year or two. Feet grow as you age.
- Check inside your shoes before sliding them on. Ensure their lining is smooth and they’re free from rocks, etc.
- Keep the blood flowing to your feet. Elevate them when you’re at rest. Wiggle your toes and pump your ankles throughout the day.
- If you require special shoes, check with your healthcare provider about insurance coverage.
If you’re having an issue with your feet, please call the St. Joseph Skin and Wound Healing Clinic at 207.907.1550 or visit: https://www.stjoeshealing.org/our-services/specialty-services/hyperbaric-wound-healing-center